Monday, July 25, 2011

Communicate THIS!!!


I thought my week two blog posted and well obviously it did not....so I had to think of NICE FURRY Walls so I would not harm my computer.

So I will try to recall the awesomeness of my first blog. 

I fully intend on continuing the use of virtual conferencing with my students. Our university wants everyone to at least have a black board set up as a backup since we live in hurricane ally. I am trying to get used to this program and thought I might try out their online chat for conferencing with students.
For the past five years I have used regular online services like AIM, YAHOO, skype and FB to virtually conference with my students. This has worked well as I also require my students to copy the conversation and review it later and/or include it as part of t heir evidence within their e-portfolio. I am happy with the results of using these mediums and plan on continuing their use. But the University wants me to try it out so for sure I will use virtual conferencing in my blended course.
Now I mentioned in my previous blog I planned on using the discussion feature in my class. I am not really worried about students sliding by in my class, because well some will and they will fail. The readings that we are requiring for the fall semester require them to be in class for the exposure to new theoretical approaches to writing. The discussion that would be required online would be dependent on their involvement in that class discussion. The discussion prompt would be designed so that the students could and would demonstrate an understanding the meaning of the assigned texts.  They would have to acquire tools for successfully responding to varied discourse conversations and genres.  This is something that can’t be faked. I mean it will not surprise me when a student tried to post BS. But I look at it as quick evaluating.
I also plan on using video and live video sessions.  I like the whole adobe thing we have going on right now.  It is so awesome. Since I can’t make it to the blended learning one due to the comp; but I can still get down with all the information and conversation. This is awesome; well until my computer fails me and does not post my blog. UGH!!
I think right now it would be premature for me to add any more features into my blended learning course. I say that because I am still working out the outline of a blended course. I have read the material thus far, but it is still a blur to me.  I mean I want my focus to be on learning and have technology to support the learning process. So right now, I am limited at answering this question fully. Like the text brought out “Creating a good online learning experiences requires effort.” So fortunately I will have several months to create this good experience.
(No this one is not the same as the first...sorry....trust me it rocked)  :)

2 comments:

  1. "I am happy with the results of using [online services like AIM, YAHOO, skype and FB] and plan on continuing their use.... I mentioned in my previous blog I planned on using the discussion feature in my class..... I also plan on using video and live video sessions. I like the whole adobe thing we have going on right now.... I think right now it would be premature for me to add any more features into my blended learning course."

    As with so many good writing instructors, it sounds like you've really prioritized technology-enabled interactions!

    Do you have a sense of how you will fit these various interaction venues together for the highest benefit in a way that doesn't overwhelm students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felicia,

    I see that these are 2011 dates. What are your thoughts about blended learning now?

    ReplyDelete